In 1903, two men and a pit bull made the first documented journey by automobile from San Francisco to New York using only a connection of dirt roads, cow paths, and railroad beds. The journey took 63 days, became a national sensation, and called for a system of long-distance roads.
The very unmuscular Australian comedian Hamish Blake once won the heavyweight category in the Mr. New York State Bodybuilding competition after entering as a joke, as he was the only competitor heavy enough to qualify.
When 550 motorcyclists participated in a ride to protest against New York State’s mandatory helmet law, a rider lost control of his motorcycle and hit his head on the pavement which killed him. Medical experts said he would have survived if he had worn his helmet.
There’s a restaurant in New York called Enoteca Maria that doesn’t employ chefs but employs grandmas. Every day a different grandma from around the world designs a fresh menu, honoring her native cuisine.
There was a tree found at ground zero a month after 9/11 in the rubble with snapped roots and burned and broken branches. New York Parks and Recreation nursed it back to health and planted it where the towers stood in 2010. Today it marks survival, resilience and rebirth.
Photo : Monika Graff / 911memorial.org
In 1818, the US began building a fort near the New York-Quebec border to defend against invasions from Canada. After two years of construction, they realized the fort was actually on the Canadian side. They abandoned it and named it Fort Blunder.
Photo : Mfwills / wikimedia
This painting by Mark Rothko was sold for $46.5 million at a NY auction.
One of the New York Mafia families’ rules is that the members aren’t allowed to grow facial hair.
The 8 rules of joining the Mafia:
- “Omertà” – is the oath or “code of silence”, never talk to the authorities.
- “Ethnicity” – only men of Italian descent are allowed to become full members (made men). Associates, partners, allies etc. have no ethnic limits.
- “Family secrets” – members are not allowed to talk about family business to non-members.
- “Blood for blood” – if a family member is killed by another member, no one can commit murder in revenge unless the boss gives permission.
- “No fighting among members” – from fist fights to knife fights.
- “Tribute” – every month; members must pay the boss; also giving the boss a cut on any side deals.
- “Adultery” – members are not allowed to commit adultery with another family member’s wife.
- “No facial hair” – members were not allowed to grow mustaches; part of the Mustache Pete way
There is an upside down traffic signal in Syracuse, New York because the Local Irish kids didn’t want British red above Irish green. –source
Photo : Doug Kerr/flickr
Starting in Fall of 2017, state colleges and universities will be tuition-free for New York residents whose families make less than $100,000 a year. source source1
image via pixabay